Saturday, June 11, 2005

My First Post

As my first post, I will first introduce myself. I am a 25 year old aspiring writer, writing mostly various types of romance. I have virtually no formal training when it comes to writing novels, but have written stories for years, because my mind has trouble sitting still. For my day job, at the moment, I am a security officer for a sports team in PA (a not so good sports team... who am I kidding, THEY SUCK!). Soon, I hope to be out of here. A job prospect in Federal Law Enforcement is on the horizon. I can't wait!!! My part time job is working with my dad, installing heating and airconditioning equiptment, as well as water and sewer lines.... GETTING DIRTY IS FUN!!!

I am a huge sports fan... Hockey is my favorite.... although with this damn strike, I am going through some serious withdrawl. As they get closer and closer to signing a deal (thank the Lord!), I can't help but wonder if they are going to ever come back from the loss of their fans. They didn't have a strong fan base to begin with and going a whole year without games is certainly not a good way to get new fans, let alone keep the ones you've got.

As an aspiring writer, I have noticed that a lot of authors use blogs as a way to get feedback on some of their story ideas. This seemed like a good idea and I am currently searching for a critique group in my area (Western PA) to possibly get together and work on critiquing each others' books. I am also in the process of joining the RWA. As a member, I am hoping to be able to get to go to some of their workshops to network and find an agent and/or publisher who might be interested in me and/or my latest (first attempt at being published) novel.

I read close to 25 or 30 books a month, depending on my work schedule and how busy I am. My favorite authors are Linda Howard, Linda Lael Miller, Nora Roberts and Patti O'Shea.... along with many more.

Any and all responses are welcome and I look forward to hearing from you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rene said...

Hi Jillian. Good luck with the writing. Joining RWA is a great step in the right direction. I'm not much of a hockey fan myself although I did watch the Kings when they were in the Stanley Cup. I'm more into baseball and football. And basketball when they Lakers aren't being total jerks.

1:07 PM, June 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home