Tuesday, June 14, 2005

*Does a little dance*

I got all 10 pages done that I wanted to. YEAH ME!!! I'm very proud of myself. 22 pages in 2 days... actually in a total of about 4 hours. And I think that for the most part it sounds pretty smooth. I think that there is at least one part that I need to work on a little more, but I need to walk away from it for a bit, because I can't think of another way to put it. It sounds a little awkward and long winded. But hey, that's why it's only the first draft, right?

Unfortunately, I am going to be internet-less until Friday so I won't be able to post again or check my comments until then, but I thought that this would be a perfect time for me to put in a little 'survey'. This way maybe I can get a whole bunch of opinions to help me decide.

Here goes. My parents are quickly approaching their 30 year wedding anniversay and I am trying (if my boss ever cooperates and pays me:(. ) to save some money to send them to Hawaii (they've never been there) for a week. I have sort of narrowed it down to a secluded little cabin in a resort on Kauai or a "Diamond Head View" hotel just off of Waikiki Beach on Oahu, with an amazing view of the Diamond Head volcano. But I can't decide which.

Kauai pros:

1.Secluded (Mom likes the quiet. She's content to just sit and read for hours. Dad also likes to just sit on the beach and hang out. They both like to take walks and here they would have the opportunity to walk along the shore, or along trails that go through wooded areas)

2. 3 PGA level golf courses among others (Daddy would LOVE this!!! My dad golfs every Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday.... and any other day someone asks him to go!)

Kauai cons:

1. Boring? Maybe they'd like the seclusion, but there isn't much else on the island, unless they drive pretty far, or island hop.

2. Mom doesn't really golf. I mean, she might go 1 or 2 times, but it's just not her cup of tea.


Oahu pros:

1. The gorgeous view. (With that view, I wanna go too:) )

2. There is a lot to do. The hotel is walking distance from lots of museums and aquariums and other attractions, and only a block away from Waikiki beach.

3. There are golf courses there too.

Oahu cons:

1. Too many people? Now, I am going to send them over their anniversary which is in January, so there may not be as many people there as if I would send them in the summer, but still, it is Hawaii.

2. I know that my mom won't go anyplace, except shopping, unless she has someone with her. And, if dad is golfing, as much as I like the view I think that she would spend most of her time in the hotel waiting for him to come back before she went out.

I suppose some are wondering why not just ask them? Well, I am doing this as a surprise. I have no choice but to tell my dad early (he's a musician and I would need to make sure he doesn't set up any gigs for the week that I am sending them), but I am only going to tell him that I am sending them somewhere and he has to make sure he is free to go.

If it helps, my dad just turned 50 and my mom is a year younger. Put yourself in their shoes. Where would you rather go if you were them.... and where would you rather go if it were you? Why/ Why not? Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

4 Comments:

Blogger Patti O'Shea said...

Jillian,

I've been to both islands. Waikiki is like Miami Beach--not very impressive at all, really. I was very disappointed with Oahu. Kauai is very beautiful and it is what we mainlanders think of when we think Hawaii. There are things to see on the island, but it would require driving or joining a tour. I'd also recommend taking a helicopter tour of the island.

But what it really comes down to is your parents. Do they love a big city/lots of people atmosphere or would they prefer a more laid back, quiet trip? Oahu is good for one, Kauai for the other. BTW, it's really sweet of you to do this.

PS Congrats on writing so many pages!

Patti

6:39 AM, June 14, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the big pages, Jillian!!!

6:32 PM, June 16, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I were them, I'd be thrilled either way! You're so sweet to do that for your parents. :)

10:33 PM, June 17, 2005  
Blogger Rene said...

I've been to Maui, Kaui, Oahu, and the Big Island. My preference is the Big Island or Maui. But if you are choosing between Oahu and Kauai, I'd go with Kauai. Its beautiful, serene, has the Waimea canyon, Hanalei Bay, some amazing Hawaiian ruins and the Hyatt Regency is supposed to be amazing to see (I didn't make it there). Oahu is interesting, lots to do, the North Shore is beautiful plus there is the Polynesian Cultural Center. Both have their pluses, but I prefer Kauai.

12:21 AM, June 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home