Thursday, January 04, 2007

Just keeps getting better and better....

After yesterday's blog, I was ready to go upstairs and turn on the laptop and start typing away with the WIP. I finished the laundry and dinner, then headed up there ready as ever to start writing again. Then the phone rang. The good news keeps on coming. I blogged yesterday about my grandfather. Last night, we found out the my grandmother (different side of the family) was just diagnosed with Lung Cancer. Just when she stops smoking (just a few months ago) this happens. Granted, she did it to herself by smoking a couple packs a day for 40+ years, but still. I just keep thinking, 'what is next?' They say that things happen in threes, right?

What is really scary is that my cousin (19 years old) is going in to have open heart surgery on the 15th of this month. The only thing he asked for this Christmas.... a black suit. He's never had one before. He was born mentally handicapped. He is 19, but looks to be about 8. He was born with a hole in his heart (so, this will be his second open heart surgery). He's never been able to eat. He has been fed by a tube his whole life. But, he is the happiest kid you could ever meet. He brings such a life force into whatever room he enters. And cars, Lord, does that boy know cars. He has many thousands of matchbox cars. He loves them and everyone buys him cars for his birthday and Christmas. You could pick anyone of those cars out of his toy chest and he could tell you the type of car it is. It is amazing! And, he knows which ones he already has! If you put a catalog of matchbox cars in front of him, he can point out each and every one that he already has and which ones he doesn't. He wasn't expected to live past the age of 5. Already he has amazed his doctors. He's had a number of surgeries, but this time, he says he's scared. He's never said that before. You have to wonder if he knows something that we don't. I really hope not.

I guess there is a reason that I'm still living with my parents though. They are both really stressed now that both have parents who have declining health. So, at least, I am here to help out with the cleaning and cooking. Granted it is still not easy being back home after being away for 8 years. I was sort of hoping that it got easier the longer that I've been here, but it hasn't been the case. And, so far I see no light at the end of the tunnel.

But, as I said in my New Year's post, I am going to try my hardest to not let this and the difficult time I've been having finding a new job to get me down.

Well, I've droned on long enough. See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home